These lemon cupcakes are pure art. I love them so much. I won’t discuss the taste because they are so delicious but the process of making them is what I enjoy the most.
Cupcakes are really easy to make and tasty too, that is why I cook them almost daily. The dough is the crucial part so if you get that right there is no way you will make a mistake in the decorating phase.
Still, the decorating phase is my favorite. I enjoy decorating things, especially these types of cupcakes. For me decorating is art, and I enjoy every single bit of it.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 175g golden caster sugar
- zest 2 lemon
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds, toasted
- 3 eggs
- 100g natural yogurt
- 175g butter melted and cooled a little
For the icing:
- 225g softened butter
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- juice 1 lemon
- few drops yellow food coloring
- icing flowers or yellow sprinkles, to decorate
- Start preheating the oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 – hole muffin tin with cupcake or muffin cases. Get your large bowl and start making the dough. Mix together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Beat all of the eggs into the yogurt then tip this into the dry ingredients with the melted butter. Whisk everything with wooden spoon until it is lump free and then divide the dough between the cases. Bake for 20 minutes until a poked toothpick comes out clean. Usually, the cake should be pale on top. Cool for 5 minutes and then carefully lift onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Get your large bowl again and now beat the softened butter and gradually beat in the sugar and lemon juice. Stir in food coloring for a lemon color then spoon in the icing into a piping bag with a large nozzle.
- Ice the cakes holding the piping bag upright from the surface of the cake. Repeat to cover all of the cakes and then sprinkle them with sugar and little lemon pieces.